The Vincent DiBerardinis Foundation was established in 2003 by Laura DiBerardinis after the loss of her son, Vincent, to complications from battling AML-type leukemia. (View Vincent's archived website for his story.) The Foundation’s mission is to support organizations that help families and children dealing with leukemia and other life-threatening cancers. Since 2003, we have raised over $140,000! In 2009, we raised nearly $19,000 that allowed us to support children and their families. Proceeds from Vincent’s 5K Run/Walk in 2008 allowed the Foundation to:
- Contribute $6,000 to The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society/Maryland Chapter.
- Donate $2,500 to Child Life on the Pediatric Oncology floor at Johns Hopkins to purchase things the children need (e.g.,arts and crafts, DVDs, games, etc.).
- Contribute $5,500 to help the Johns Hopkins Hemapharesis Department sponsor bone marrow drives.
- Provide $5,500 to the Social Work Department on the Pediatric Oncology floor at Johns Hopkins, to support families with lodging, transportation and parking, for family education materials, and for their Sibling Program.
- Donate $3,500 to a local swim-a-thon that directly benefits research for JHH Pediatric Oncology.
- Contribute $1,000 for Pediatric Oncology nursing development and education at JHH.
Our main fundraiser each year is Vincent’s 5K Run/Walk, held each year on Mother's Day Weekend at Hillsmere Elementary School, in Annapolis, Maryland, where Vince attended Kindergarten. This year's run took place on Saturday, May 9, 2009, with over 550 runners registered! View the 2009 results and see photos!
Read the post-race letter from Vincent's Mom...
Make strides with us!
Please join us to support the families who benefit from the Foundation. This event is a family-friendly and competitive 5K Run/Walk that is fun and uplifting. Serious runners in training—as well as folks in the 80s, moms with babies, grandparents, and whole families—turn out to support the cause. It's a beautiful way to start your weekend and celebrate Spring! More about Vincent's Run...
Sponsors & Donations
The Foundation operates through the kindness of corporate and individual Sponsors—people just like you. The Vincent DiBerardinis Foundation is a nonprofit, tax-exempt organization. Your tax-deductible donation directly influences the lives of children in Maryland and spreads hope to families seeking a cure or a donor throughout the world.
Find out how you can help...
GoodSearch For Vincent!
As you search the internet, you can earn donations for the Vincent DiBerardinis Foundation with GoodSearch.com, a Yahoo-based search engine that credits non-profits for every search made. Just visit GoodSearch.com and enter "The Vincent DiBerardinis Foundation" in the field marked "Who Do You GoodSearch for?" Every time you search, GoodSearch gives one cent to the Foundation. You'll be amazed at how the pennies pile up! It's simple and easy to use: no registration...just choose to GoodSearch for Vincent and then search as usual.
We Support the National Marrow Donor Program
Onsite during the run, we also sponsor a Bone Marrow Registry Drive with the help of Johns Hopkins Hemapheresis and Transfusion Support (HATS). With a simple oral swab, YOU can be registered as a life-giving match to someone in need. The cost to register is $52; the Foundation appreciates donations but will cover any remaining costs. Your very appearance CAN make a difference to someone. Because of the dire need for minorities in the database, there is no fee for minorities to register.